I. Consent to personal information collection and processing
II. The personal information we collect
Personal Information. “Personal information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked to, directly or indirectly, a particular consumer or household. The following are categories (with non-exhaustive examples) of personal information we may collect and for each category the purpose for which it may be used:
Categories of Personal Information.
- Demographic Information. We may collect and process demographic information about you. Examples of demographic information we collect about you may include your name, email address, mailing address, mobile phone number, and credit card or other billing information. Demographic information also includes other information, such as date of birth, geographic area, device identifiers such as an IP address, or preferences, when any such information is linked to information that identifies a specific individual. This demographic information may be processed to assess the Service, provide the Service, for Service improvement, to set up your account, to communicate with you, to personalize the Service, and to secure the Service.
- Internet or Network Activity. When you use the Site, we may send one or more cookies (cookies are small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters) to your browser. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Site. Please review your web browser “Help” file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies, you may not be able to utilize the features of the Service to their fullest potential. We may also implement third- party content or advertising on the Site that may use clear gifs or other forms of web beacons, which allow the third-party content provider to read and write cookies to your browser in connection with your viewing of the third party content on the Site. We may also collect other internet and network information such as “web beacons”, “clear gifs”, your IP address or other device address or ID, web browser, or device type, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after you use the Service, the pages or other content you view or otherwise interact with on the Service, and the dates and times that you visit, access, or use the Service. We also may use these technologies to collect information regarding your interaction with email messages, such as whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded a message. This internet or network activity may be processed to secure the Service, to personalize the Service, improve the Service, provide the Service, or assess the Service.
- Location Information. We may offer certain features as part of the Service in whole or in part based on your location, such as to locate the mobile device on which you have installed, or downloaded an application that is a part of the Service. You will be given the opportunity to opt-in to location-based services, normally through an opt-in screen on the application. If you choose to enable location-based services, we may collect your location information including if available, GPS, IP address or cell tower information. If you do not opt-in to or choose to disable location-based services, you may not be able to utilize certain features of the Service. Without limiting the foregoing, even if you have not expressly granted us access to location data, we may nonetheless have access to location information contained in the transaction data associated with your June Life device. This location information may be processed to provide the Service, to improve the Service, or to personalize the Service.
- June Oven Information. We collect information from your June Oven. The SSID and WiFi password are stored locally on the June Oven. Examples of personal information we collect when data sharing setting is enabled includes, WiFi configuration information (IP address, signal strength, WiFi security configuration), timezone, diagnostic data including logs of software and hardware behaviors, software version number and update history, oven serial number, and lifetime usage of oven components such as heating elements, fans and door switch. Examples of personal information we collect when data sharing setting is disabled includes, images of the interior of the oven, including anything within the oven while cooking (e.g., food, pans, hands, or other objects put inside the oven while cooking), oven cavity and hardware component temperature data, food thermometer data, weight of the oven and items inside or on top of the oven, history of cooking sessions, including date and times of cooking sessions, cooking modes and presets used, accelerometer data (motion or movement as felt by the oven, such as the opening and closing of the door, or the oven being jostled), and sensory data, including audio, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information. This June Oven information may be processed to assess the health of the Service, to personalize the Service, to provide the Service, to secure the Service, and to help use the June Oven in concert with the June App. This June Oven information may also be processed to improve the performance of the June Oven and add new functionality, such as the ability to recognize new foods.
- June App Information. We collect information from your June App. Examples of personal information we collect from the June App includes diagnostic data including logs of software and hardware behaviors, software version number and update history, oven serial number, and email address. This June App information may be processed to communicate to you about our Services, such as to send emails to tell you about new features and functionality provided on the June Oven or June App via automatic software updates, to assist with technical support issues in the event that you contact us for help, to assess the health of the Service, to personalize the Service, to provide the Service, to secure the Service, and to help use the June Oven in concert with the June App.
- Inferences. We collect information from inferences drawn from personal information. Examples of such inferences drawn from your personal information include your profile reflecting your dietary preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, and attitudes. Such inferences are used to provide the Service, to personalize the Service, and to improve the Service.
Categories of Sources of Personal Information.
- Personal Information You Provide through the Services. June collects personal information when you voluntarily submit it to us. For example, we may collect or receive personal information from you when you create an account, subscribe to the newsletter, edit your profile information, post a review, submit a request to our customer service team, interact with our social media pages, or otherwise interact with us or other users through the Site or Service.
- Automatically Collected Personal Information. When you use the Service, we may automatically record certain information about the device you are using to access the Service. For example, we automatically record information about your June Oven when you connect to the internet. We may use various types of technology to do this, including internet and network information. We may also collect personal information about you over time and across different websites, apps, and devices when you access the Service. We also collect some personal information automatically using cookies or other online tracking technologies. Information collected through web beacons is collected directly by third parties, and we do not participate in that data transmission. Information collected by a third party in this manner is subject to that third party’s own data collection, use, and disclosure policies. If you would like to learn more about behavioral advertising or to opt out of having this information used by companies that are part of the Network Advertising Initiative and the Digital Advertising Alliance to deliver targeted ads, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org (NAI) and www.aboutads.info/choices (DAA).
- Personal Information Collected from the June Oven. When you purchase and use the June Oven, we collect and process personal information, such as June Oven information and email.
- Personal Information Collected from the June App. When you install and use the June App, we collect and process personal information, such as June App information and information that can be used to make inferences.
- Personal Information Collected from Third Parties. We may obtain information, including personal information, from third parties and sources other than the Service, such as our partners, advertisers, third party integrated services, and social media sites. We may merge or combine such personal information with the personal information we collect from other sources of personal information.
Exclusions to Personal Information.
Personal information does not include:
- Publicly Available. Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified Information or Aggregate Information. “Deidentified Information” means information that cannot reasonably identify, relate to, describe, be capable of being associated with, or be linked, directly or indirectly, to a particular individual, and for which June has implemented technical safeguards and business processes that prohibit reidentification of the individual. “Aggregate Information” means information that relates to a group or category of individuals, from which individual identities have been removed, that is not linked or reasonably linkable to any individual or household, including via a device. We may make certain Deidentified Information or Aggregated Information available to third parties for various purposes, including (i) compliance with various reporting obligations; (ii) for business or marketing purposes; or (iii) to assist such parties in understanding our users’ interests, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality available through the Service.
III. How we use the information we collect
We use the personal information primarily to provide the Service and operate our business. We may also use personal information for various purposes, including, without limitation, the following:
- Assess the Service. We use the personal information that we collect from the June Oven or June App to assess the health of the product, diagnose technical issues, pair the June Oven with the June App, assess the performance of the oven, and prevent fraud.
- Provide the Service. We use the personal information that we collect on the Service to operate, maintain, enhance and provide all features of the Service, to provide services and information that you request, to respond to comments and questions and otherwise to provide support to users, and to process and deliver entries and rewards in connection with promotions that may be offered from time to time through the Service.
- Provide Third Party Integrated Services. Part of the Service may allow you to connect with external systems or databases, such as your banking credentials. Connections to such integrated services generally require you to sign into those services.
- Service Improvement. We use the information that we collect on the Service to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the Service, and to develop new products, services, features, and functionality. We may also provide software updates.
- Communicate with You. We may use your email address or other information we collect on the Service to (a) contact you for administrative purposes such as customer service, or address intellectual property infringement, right of privacy violations or defamation issues related to your user content posted on the Service or (b) send communications, including updates on promotions and events, relating to products and services offered by us and by third parties we work with. Generally, you have the ability to opt-out of receiving any promotional communications as described below under “Your Choices,” but may not opt-out of receiving transactional messages.
- Personalize the Service. We may use internet and network information we collect on the Service to (a) personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Service; (b) provide customized advertisements, content, and information; (c) monitor and analyze the effectiveness of Service and third-party marketing activities; (d) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed; and (e) track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities on the Service.
- To Secure the Service. We use personal information to maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Site, products and Service, databases and other technology assets, business, and other users.
- As Required by Law. We use personal information to respond to requests from law enforcement and as required by applicable law, court order, or government investigation.
IV. When we disclose personal information
- Service Providers. We work with third-party service providers to provide website, application development, hosting, maintenance, and other features for us. These third parties may have access to or process personal information as part of providing those features for us. Generally, we limit the personal information provided to these service providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and we require them to maintain the confidentiality of such personal information.
- Compliance with Laws. We may disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. copyright law), in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental agencies.
- Legal Compliance. We reserve the right to disclose personal information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to (a) take precautions against liability, (b) protect ourselves or others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity, (c) investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations, (d) protect the security or integrity of the Service and any facilities or equipment used to make the Service available, or (e) protect our property or other legal rights (including, but not limited to, enforcement of our agreements), or the rights, property, or safety of others.
- Related Companies and M&A. Information about our users, including personal information, may be disclosed and otherwise transferred to an acquirer, or successor or assignee as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of assets, or similar transaction, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership in which information is transferred to one or more third parties as one of our business assets.
- Behavioral-Based Advertising. We participate in behavioral-based advertising. This means that a third party may use technology (e.g., a cookie) to collect information about your use of our Site or Service so that we can provide advertising about products and services tailored to your interest. That advertising may appear either on our Site or Service, or on other websites.
- Partner or Client Offerings. We may jointly offer events, promotions, or any other product or service offerings with third party partners or our clients. The personal information that you submit through an event, promotion, or other product or service offering may be combined and transmitted with the information related to your account. Third party partners or clients may collect information directly from you, which may be combined with personal information disclosed by us. If you decide to request, enter into, or participate in an event, promotion, or other product or service offering that is offered by us and identified as a joint effort with a third-party partner or client, the information that you provide may be shared with us and with that identified third party.
- Social Networking. The Service may offer you the ability to share integrated service information through a social networking website (e.g., Facebook, Twitter), using such site’s integrated tools (e.g., Facebook “Like” button, or Twitter “Tweet” button). The use of such third party integration services enables you to share integrated service information about yourself with other individuals or the public, depending on the settings that you have established with such social networking site. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and use in connection with such social networking site or a site’s integrated services, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these social networking sites.
- Public Forum and Messaging. The Service may provide you with the opportunity to post comments, messages, or reviews in a public forum. If you decide to submit personal information at these locations, that information will be available to other users of the Service.
- Referrals. Users may recommend other users to join the Service by providing their contact information or selecting friends from a social networking site. Users may also provide information about other users.
V. Your Choices
June generally stores your personal information on June’s servers. You may, of course, decline to share certain personal information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of the Service. You can make the following choices regarding your personal information:
- Access Your Personal Information. If you wish to access any personal information we hold about you, you may contact us through our customer service portal, accessible from our Service, as described below.
- Change Your Personal Information. If you wish to amend any other personal information we hold about you, you may contact us through our customer service portal, accessible from our Service, as described below. Please note that while any changes you make will be reflected in active user databases within a reasonable period of time, we may retain all information you submit for backups, archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics, satisfaction of legal obligations, and any other situation where we believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
- Delete Your Personal Information. If you wish to delete any personal information we hold about you, you may contact us through our customer service portal, accessible from our Service, as described below. Please note that we may retain all personal information you submit for backups, archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics, satisfaction of legal obligations, and any other situation where we believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
VI. Opting Out
You can make the following choices to opt out of certain activities regarding your personal information:
VII. Third-Party Services
The Service may contain features or links to web sites and services provided by third parties. Any information you provide on third-party sites or services is provided directly to the operators of such services and is subject to those operators’ policies, if any, governing privacy and security, even if accessed through the Service. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of third-party sites or services to which links or access are provided through the Service. We encourage you to learn about third parties’ privacy and security policies before providing them with information.
VIII. Children’s Privacy
The Site and Service are intended for adults. Use of our Site and Service require establishment of an account by an adult, who is responsible for all activity under that account. All personal information collected in connection with a valid account is assumed to relate to an adult or to a child using our Service with a parent’s permission. Our Site and Service are not directed to children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without obtaining parental consent. If we learn that personal information has been collected on the Site or Service from persons under 13 years of age without verifiable parental consent, then we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under 13 years of age has obtained an account on the Service, then you may alert us through our customer service portal, accessible from our Service, and request that we delete that child’s personal information from our systems.
IX. Data Security
We use reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards that are appropriately designed to protect the integrity and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure, or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or store on the Service, and you do so at your own risk. We also cannot guarantee that despite reasonable precautions, your information will never be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed.
For personal information that we collect through the June Oven or the June App, we use industry-standard methods, including but not limited to Transport Layer Security (TLS) and cryptographic signature verification. We do this to keep this information safe and secure while it is transmitted over your home network and through the Internet to our servers. Information collected by the June Oven is not encrypted when stored locally on the oven, but is protected by TLS if and when it is transmitted to our servers. Your WiFi credentials and password are stored locally on the device and not sent to the June server.
If we learn of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. We may post a notice through the Service if a security breach occurs.
Although we may allow you to adjust your privacy settings to limit our access to certain personal information, please be aware that no privacy or security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures on the Service. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users with whom you may choose to share your personal information. Further, even after information posted on the Service is removed, caching and archiving services may have saved that personal information, and other users or third parties may have copied or stored the personal information available on the Service. We cannot and do not guarantee that personal information you post on or transmit to the Service will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
X. California Privacy Rights
- Shine the Light. Under California Civil Code Sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice identifying the categories of personal information which we share with our affiliates or third parties for marketing purposes, and providing contact information for such affiliates or third parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the address listed below.
California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”). June must disclose whether the following categories of personal information are disclosed for a “business purpose” or “valuable consideration” as those terms are defined under California law. Note that while a category below may be marked, that does not necessarily mean that we have personal information in that category about you. In the preceding twelve months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information in the manner described.
Category Information is Disclosed for a Business Purpose Information is Disclosed for Valuable Consideration Demographic Information Yes No Internet or Network Activity Yes No Integrated Services Information Yes No Location Information Yes No June Oven Information Yes No June App Information Yes No Inferences Yes No
XI. European Users
The following applies to individuals in the European Economic Area (EEA).
Lawful Basis for Processing. June is required to inform you of the lawful basis of our processing of your personal information, which are described in the table below. If you have questions about the lawful basis of how we process your personal information, contact us at the address listed in the section titled “Our Contact Information” below.
Processing Purpose Lawful Basis
Processing is based on your consent. Where we rely on your consent you have the right to withdraw it anytime in the manner indicated on the Site.
- To assess the Service
- To provide the Service.
- To communicate with you regarding the Service.
- For Service improvement.
You are subject to a contract with us and we need to use your personal information to provide services you have requested or take steps that you request prior to providing services.
Processing is necessary to comply with our legal obligations.
- To assess the Service.
- To provide the Service.
- For Service improvement.
- To personalize the Service.
- To communicate with you regarding the Service.
- For security purposes.
These processing activities constitute our legitimate interests. We consider and balance the potential impact on your rights before we process your personal information for our legitimate interests. We do not use your personal information for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law).
Retention. June retains personal information:
- For so long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with the Service or to fulfill our contractual obligations;
- As necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements; and
- For so long as is necessary for the purposes for which we collected such personal information.
Your Rights. European data protection laws give you certain rights regarding your personal information. You may ask us to take the following actions in relation to your personal information that we hold:
- Access. Provide you with personal information about our processing of your personal information and give you access to your personal information.
- Correct. Update or correct inaccuracies in your personal information.
- Delete. Delete your personal information.
- Transfer. Transfer a machine-readable copy of your personal information to you or a third party of your choice.
- Restrict. Restrict the processing of your personal information.
- Object. Object to our reliance on our legitimate interests as the basis of our processing of your personal information that impacts your rights.
XII. International Visitors: Consent to Transfer Data
XIV. Exercising your Privacy Rights
- No Fee Usually Required. You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee or decline to comply with your request if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive, or excessive.
- What We May Need from You. When exercising your rights or otherwise assisting you, we may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity. This is a security measure to ensure we do not disclose personal information to any person who is not entitled to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
- Time to Respond. We try to respond to all legitimate requests within 30 days of your request. Occasionally it may take us longer than 30 days to respond, for instance if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you of the delay, and may continue to update you regarding the progress of our response.
- No Discrimination. You will not be subject to discrimination as a result of exercising the rights described herein. In some cases, when you exercise one of your rights, we will be unable to comply with the request due to legal obligations or otherwise, or we will be unable to provide you certain Services. These responses are not discrimination and our reasons for declining your request or ceasing Services will be provided at that time.
- Authorized Agent. You may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. In order to designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf, you must provide a valid power of attorney, the requester’s identification information, and the authorized agent’s identification information.
XV. Our Contact Information
June Life, Inc.
Attn: Privacy Agent
1620-1622 Folsom St
San Francisco, CA 94103
Updated: November 3, 2022